RIVA Racing    RIVA Performance Forums    RIVA Performance Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Yamaha PWC Performance Forum    Need some accel pump help!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some accel pump help!!!! Login/Join 
posted
I have an 2001 XR1800 Yamaha boat with the twin GP1200R engines in it.

Here is my setup:

D plate installed
Stock airbox
Tamper caps removed: 1 1/2 highs, 1 1/8 lows

I am having horrible acceleration problems up to the dreaded 4000 rpm zone. I can't seem to get her past them . I thought it may be bad fuel / filters and changed the filters, but no dice.

Another jetboater advised removing/disabling or maybe adjusting the accel pump. I use the boat for waterskiing so hole shot is pretty important. If I turn the adjustment screw in, does that provide less fuel or more??

I really dont want to rejet if I don't have to.

Posts: 33 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turning the high or low adjustment screws IN will lessen the fuel. If your boat acted fine before now, I can't see how the accelerator pumps are to blame. I'd look elsewhere for the problem. If the problem just popped up since the D plate installation, you may need to open up your screws. Read the plugs to be sure.

Posts: 2002 | Location: Houston | Registered: March 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The boat has had this problem since it was new and the dealer is clueless. His best attempt was to increase the idle speed to 1600-1700rpm.

Even if I disable the accel pump, the port engine dies when I punch it. Am I too rich or is my waterbox filling up and the backpressure too high. Could this be a powervalve problem?

Posts: 33 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It honestly sounds like an acc pump problem. Can you see the pumps squirt if you operate the throttle while the engine is off? How do the plugs read?

Posts: 2002 | Location: Houston | Registered: March 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't see the squirt but I can hear it when I rotate the throttle wheel.

I haven't done a low speed plug chop yet. Is that what I need to do? Idle for 4-5 mins and then chop it and pull them? If so, am I still looking for a medium brown color?

Also, after I set the idle down to 1350-1400, after a run of over 4000rpm for a few mins, the engines idle at 1600 again. It keeps creeping up on idle.