RIVA Racing    RIVA Performance Forums    RIVA Performance Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Yamaha PWC Performance Forum    Problem with tiny tach after advent ignition install.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with tiny tach after advent ignition install. Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone had their tiny tach go wacked after installing the advent cdi on their gpr? Mine now does not want to read correctly at all. Even reads when the ground is disconnected.

Current Toys:'03 Silverado SS
'01 Gp1200R, stage 1+, gps'd @ 73.5 for now.
'96 Waveblaster, modded
'03 Silver Yamaha RX-1 LE

Posts: 323 | Location: Cottonwood, MN | Registered: February 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What TinyTach did you get?

I use the TinyTach and have an Advent ignition. The white wire is grounded on one of the PV bolts and the red wire is wrapped around the #1 sparkplug wire. Before wrapping it I clean it with an alcohol swab to make sure there are no chemicals on it.

Posts: 974 | Location: Shrewsbury, NJ | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was the standard tiny tach, It was working perfectly with the oem cdi with wire wrapped around #1. Now no go after installing the advent cdi. I tried #2 with no luck, then unhooked the ground and the tack read the same when not grounded or grounded to any bolt. I did notice the black cover that covers the solder points on the wires had moved, now wonder if it isn't making a good enough connection at the solder, they are still intact though/no broken connections.

'96 Waveblaster, modded

Posts: 323 | Location: Cottonwood, MN | Registered: February 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1st, run the tach lead down the side of all three plug wires at the cdi box and wire tie it to each plug wire. do not wrap the plug wires, only allow it to touch the wire on one spot.

2nd, if 1 dont work, wrap each plug wire off the cdi box 3 times.

the 1st is TT recommendation with a aftermarket cdi on the yami 3 cylinders. this way worked on my comercial series tach. if i wrapped the wires the tach freaked out and had to be re-set.

the 2nd was how i ran my standard tt on my gpr

both boats use an advent cdi.

btw, if your tt freaks out and locks....call them. there is a method to reset it. it is not shot....and can be reset.

Posts: 2201 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: June 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried your advise, still a no go...I think the wires are screwed on the TT.. I also think I have a air leak now. Seems to be over revving on the trailer more than normal. I did a plug check after a run with the cdi after richening all highs 1/8 turn from oem cdi settings I had. The front is very lean/dry white plug and dry ground strap and plug thread base, other two are leaner also. Running on the trailer a bit and the center plug and piston dome is a bit wet and the front and rear plugs and piston domes are dry. WTF...It was idling around 1490 rpm last time on water before tach screwed up, but what should it be idling at (ball park) out of water???

'96 Waveblaster, modded

posted Hide Post
Right or wrong I had just skined the pulse reading lead back about an inch and inserted it under the protecting cover on number one spark plug wire right by the boot.
tt worked fine for me and I am running an Advent ignition
but currently switched to pet 2100 an like it alot better

01 GP1200R stage?
99 GP 1200 mostly stock
95 wolverine stock
89 CR250R mostly stock
90 ford SuperCoupe modded

Posts: 79 | Location: south east IA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine went all funky on me and I held the reset button down for about 20 seconds and it started working properly. Had to do the same thing when I put the stock ignition back in.

2000 GP1200R 75.2 & 7240 @ 75°
2001 GPR 1300 ported 80.6 @ 7280 hopefully more to come
My email address is murphjmm@hotmail.com

Posts: 1951 | Location: Oceanside, California | Registered: January 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had problems with tiny tach and PET tach. Simple solution, wrap the pickup line right up near the electrical box on the #1 lead.
I had a year of good readings wrapping right by the plug cap. It then went wonky. I don't remember who advised me to move the pickup but it saved me from trashing another Tach. NEVER put a hole in your plug leads.

Chris Smith
Cell: 441-500-313
Bermuda 1200cc Mod Champion! 00,02,03,04,06
Offshore Champ 05

Posts: 603 | Location: Bermuda | Registered: January 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to an older post on this subject
http://rivaforums.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4886094314...101060512#1101060512

Chris Smith
Cell: 441-500-313
Bermuda 1200cc Mod Champion! 00,02,03,04,06
Offshore Champ 05

Posts: 603 | Location: Bermuda | Registered: January 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll try the reset trick and see what happens and add extra solder to the ground connection and lead connection, they seem a bit loose. Looks like I need to stagger the low speed screws to get more fuel to #1 and #3, Low speed lean condition, falls on face/dies when stabbing the throttle. But then burns the prop if you nail it from a slightly higher idle.

'96 Waveblaster, modded

posted Hide Post
Well, I re-soldered the Tinytach leads and reset it, same thing at idle (out of water) reading 1700 rpm when the stock tach reads 3000 rpm. Should it be reving that high, anyone want to chime in on their out of water idle rpms

'96 Waveblaster, modded

posted Hide Post
Fixed the problem...Installed the stock CDI and tach works fine again idling at 3100 rpm out of water just like the stock tach reads. No way to make it work with the advent for some reason...

'96 Waveblaster, modded