Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Check engine light FX140 Login/Join 
posted
My check engine light came on last weekend. I haven't had a chance to get it in to be checked out, but has anyone else had this situation come up? The owners manual say to reduce speed, and have it checked out at the dealer. Hopefuly it's no big deal. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this, and what caused it.

Posts: 33 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: June 02, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It's happened to other folks - search the archives.

You can do a preliminary diagnosis - if you press the two buttons on the instrument panel for 8 sec. at the same time a code will be displayed.

The codes are listed in the back of the service manual (pg 9-57). Since there aren't that many, I'll go ahead and post them:
13 - Incorrect pulser coil signal
15 - Incorrect engine temperature sensor signal
18 - Incorrect throttle position sensor signal
19 - Incorrect battery voltage
23 - Incorrect intake air temperature sensor signal
24 - Incorrect cam position sensor signal
29 - Incorrect intake air pressure sensor signal
39 - Incorrect oil pressure sensor signal
47 - Incorrect slant detection switch signal
48 - Incorrect data transmission

All in all - a trip to the dealer is probably in order.

Posts: 18 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 13, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My FX140 is in for this right now (actually in for the second time as the dealer didn't get it fixed the first pass). It had error code 24, Incorrect Cam Position Sensor. On the self-diagnostic, the check engine light has to be on to get the error code.

[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: mjammer ]

Posts: 377 | Location: Ft. Wayne, IN | Registered: February 28, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The dealer replaced the sensor on our FX140. I'll probably pick it up todight and hopefully get it out this weekend for a test spin.

Posts: 377 | Location: Ft. Wayne, IN | Registered: February 28, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, we took it out today after the repair and it worked OK for about an hour and then the check engine light came back on. It was the same error code (24) again. I guess it is more than a sensor problem. Time to have a serious talk with the dealer as this is the third trip back for the check engine light

posted Hide Post
I called the dealer, he said the sensor probally just got wet. According to my wife who was riding it at the time, she had just dumped it just prior to it coming on. The light is off now, but I haven't had a chance to take it out since (work, work, work). i will definately check out the diagnostics first though.

Posts: 33 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: June 02, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the dealer call Yamaha while I sat in his office while I was dropping min eoff for the 3rd time. It turns out that with the error code 24 for the Cam Shaft Sensor, supposedly they need to shave a small amount of material somewhere off the sensor mount or arm to get the sensor closer to avoid the error. This was instructions from the Yamaha regional service reps. I picked it up Friday and we'll see tomorrow if it made a difference. I don't know if this is when they put a new sensor on or if this is a fix for units that are exhibiting this problem when the sensor is OK. Check the code you are getting and then have the dealer call their regional service reps and see what they say.

posted Hide Post
I have a FX140 with 20 hours on it. Took it down to Sebastian Inlet to do a little jumping. After about 20 mins the check engine light came on and I checked the error code, "24" popped up. It went off and on the rest of the trip home which was only a couple of miles. Hopefully this isn't going to be a big problem.

Posts: 20 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 22, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I took my FX140 out today and the repair seems to have worked. Take it to your dealer and have them call Yamaha's regional tech support rep. That is where the trick regarding shaving a little off the the sensor mount (or whatever it was) came from. It seems to have done the trick on mine. Good luck.

posted Hide Post
My error code 24 showed back up today. Very annoying when the dealer is 45 mins away. I hope Yamaha is doing something about this to solve the problem.

posted Hide Post
I think I am having this problem too. I'll check the code next time it happens.

posted Hide Post
I called Yamaha today and they say they haven't heard of this problem at all. My dealer tells me a different story, saying they called Yamaha and they are aware of it and assessing how to permanently fix the problem. Sounds like someone is confused....

posted Hide Post
Ran the FX140 on the lake this weekend. Sure enough after 1 hr the check engine light came
on. I checked the code this time and again as expected the code showed "24". Cam position senor
bad data.

So Yamaha has a little problem. Now the question is how do I get this fixed?

posted Hide Post
Buck,

Have your dealer's mechanic call Yamaha area rep. From other postings I have read, this problem can be caused by the mounting of the sensor. Others have stated that their dealer removed the sensor, shaved the mount and then remoted the sensor. Problem fixed, but have your dealer check with Yamaha first. You might want to check other threads on the internet.

Posts: 20 | Location: Gilford, NH | Registered: September 11, 2002Report This Post